In this short article I will show you how to build a cigar humidor in only fourteen steps. Read the directions and be sure to see the Images that help you understand each step below. Lets begin…
First, here’s an overview of a cigar humidor (for newbies): Whether it is a high flyer on Wall Street or a rancher in the Deep South, many people love to puff away on a cigar. For those that move from an odd cigar or two to purchasing quality cigars accessorizing becomes important. Of all the cigar accessories available there is one that stands head and shoulders above the rest and this is the cigar humidor.
The cigar humidor is an important cigar accessory that essentially protects your cigars from the humidity of the air so they don’t ruin, the only downside is that they are costly.
We say this is a downside like there is no other option, but there is! Why not build a humidor of your own to give you a unique, one of a kind, handmade and low cost cigar humidor?
Sounds great but you are probably wondering how to go about making your own cigar humidor, well today we will go through the step by step requirements so you can make your own humidor.
Build A Cigar Humidor In 14 Easy Steps!
This is wood using project that is great for anyone of a beginner status.
Materials required for the build:
- Battery powered small humidifier unit
- ¼ inch large pieces of wood
- Rubber mallet
- Dowel pins
- Square wooden dowel rods
- Drill with drill bit at same size as your dowel pins
- 2 x hinges and screws
Here Are The Actual Steps On How To Build a Humdor:
- Measure out two pieces of wood at 400 mm by 200 mm and cut out using the saw
- Drill two holes (not all the way through the wood) at the top and bottom of each end a few millimetres from the outside edge on the flat of the wood (fig 1.)
- Measure out two pieces of wood at 200 mm by 200 mm and cut out using the saw
- Drill two holes (not all the way through the wood) at the same height and measurements from the inside edge on the actual thickness of the wood (fig. 2)
- Measure out two pieces of wood at 413 mm by 213 mm and cut out using the saw (this will be the top and bottom of the humidor)
- Take the dowel pins and knock them into the holes made in the first two wooden pieces using the rubber mallet then add the second two wooden pieces to the other side’s – you should now have a wooden square (fig. 3)
- Place your humidifier in the inside corner of the square and measure the space taken on the length of the box
- Mark out and drill two holes parallel at each side of the inside of the square where you have just marked from the humidifier – if required also mark where a digital display on the humidifier may need to be shown on the outside of the humidor and cut the relevant sized hole
- Add dowel pins to each of the four holes
- Cut 2 square wooden dowel rods to 200 mm and drill holes in each end then knock these onto the dowel pins inside the square
- Take one of the 413 mm by 213 mm wooden pieces and drill holes (not all the way through the wood) at each corner some 4 mm in from the outside edge
- Place the 413 mm by 213 mm wooden piece under your square and mark out on the bottom of the square where the four drill holes on the 413 mm by 213 mm piece meet
- Drill four holes (not all the way through the wood) in the bottom of the wooden square, knock in four dowel pins and then add the bottom to the square – you should now be left with a box
- Finally screws the two hinges on to the top rear of your cigar humidor and then onto the rear edge of your top piece (413 mm by 213 mm) giving you a lid
You will be left with a basic wooden humidor, you can add ornate and interesting wooden and metal pieces to make your humidor more unique and in keeping with your personal style. Not only will you have a great cigar humidor, you can also tell everyone you personally made it.
I hope this article on how to build a humidor was helpful. Let me know! Leave a comment 🙂